03 October 2007

I’m sitting in the Jardin de Tuileries right now typing away. There is no wireless but I can post this later. Dozens of men keep walking by me carrying clipboards and blackberries. If their overcoats don’t give them away, then their velvet shoes do… They are headed straight for the tents behind me, as did the super thin perfectly dressed girl model who sat next to me on the metro and got off at the same stop.

This week is Paris Fashion week and I decided to get out to get some fresh Paris air (which includes being strangled by the smoke of the cigarette of the man who just sat down on my bench) and see if I could spot any celebrities. Supposedly Kirsten Dunst is here. Right now is the Christian LaCroix show and I saw about 6 horses prancing around backstage with models on them… Saturday is the real day however and I plan to return at 3:30 to stake out my spot for the Chloe show...if only to steal one of the bags.

I’ll be here for Saturday night for sure. It is “Nuit Blanche” in Paris. A holiday that I am not sure I quite understand yet but tried to explain to the Australian tourists asking me about all of the temporary steel lanterns in various sculpted shapes lining the whole park. From what I’ve heard, on October 6th Paris does not go to sleep…meaning that a bunch of museums, concerts, pubs restaurants, parks, etc will be open to the public all night long. It is a new holiday started by the government only a few years ago after seeing the success of a similar event in Toronto. Here’s the wikipedia explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuit_Blanche
Pics From my Nuit Blanche Adventure:
Lanterns in the shape of a giant ball in the Jardin de Tuileries.
The fountain outside Versailles.
Nuit Blanche focuses on "artsy" elements: Still not sure whether white tank tops with lights inside qualify as art--but it was pretty!

Pictures and Disney story to come. For now...I've posted the link to a video Carly and I made of our new appartment to the right.

1 comment:

Craig said...

I read your whole blog with Craig's computer today. Very exciting.
Thanks for the postcard. I went to King Ludwig's castle in 1975 when Rich was stationed in Frankfort with Orv. So happy that you could see the same castle.
Love, Grandma Gladys